Thursday, September 10, 2009

Stuff Rattling around in my head

I was in the middle of training yesterday and a guy that usually puts in a mediocre workout once a month came up to me and let me know that he had worked out TWO days in a row.... Instead of giving him a list of sarcastic comments... i encouraged him to keep it up, and then I did too much... I asked him what (muscles) he hit?

"arms"

He immediately saw me reaction of total disappointment wirtten all over my face. To workout so sporatically through a month and expect results with no plan, or in his case a terrible plan, is a giant waste of time. If he is going for fat loss, yet targeting some of the smallest muscle groups in the body, he isn't going to see anything even if he worked out more consistently.

In reaction to my disappointment he could have redeemed himself... you know, I'm about to do some plyos, sled pushes, sledge hammer hits on a tire, sprints.... but he didn't. He made himself look worse

"well, you know, I don't want to build all kinds of muscle.... i just want to lose some gut fat"


I officially have branded this kid worthless. Since building all kinds of muscle is all of the sudden easy, he wants to train arms to lose GUT fat. I just don't see his logic... when he comes around and starts thinking about the movements his body is making and proves to me that he will consistently workout weekly... I'll help him.

Let me know any terrible advice you have heard in the gym in the comment section!

2 comments:

Chance Cianciola, MS, CSCS, cPT said...

I had a guy tell me that you shouldn't do the same workout. He said switching it up every week is the best way to "keep your body guessing". needless to say he knows nothing about progression...

Rob Sinnott, MS, CSCS said...

I completely agree. He needs to realize that changing up his workout is great for muscle confusion, but the body needs to be taught something before it is confused.
He needs to establish some type of baseline fitness first. He also needs to understand that tracking progression is nearly impossible if you never complete the same exercise AND people tend to neglect smaller muscle groups if they really have no plan except to do something different.
For instance, some one wanting to increase their max bench, squat, or deadlift need to specialize enough in those three exercises to focus on perfecting the angle and range of motion for that particular exercise. Sure, throw in some barbell/DB incline, but if you want to get a bigger bench... you need to bench.

 
Custom Search