Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Sleep Deprivation

This passed Sunday night I was watching Bigger, Stronger, Faster with my fiance and then I glanced at the clock... it was 12:40am! This usually would not be a problem, but since I open the gym Monday mornings at 6am I knew I was headed for a rough day. A little over four hours of sleep is going to be terrible.

In my mind I was thinking that it wouldn't be too bad, I would just go to bed a little earlier Monday night or take a nap... it's whatever, just sleep. I forgot to mention Monday is also squat day.

Last week I did the following workout on squat:
345 x 3
355 x 3
355 x 3
360 x 3
360 x 3
365 x 3

I was tired afterwards, but it felt good to get those weights for the reps I wanted.
After a four hour night of sleep I got the following on squat:

355 x 3
355 x 3
355 x 2
345 x 3
345 x 3
335 x 3

During sleep, aside from the physical rest a very important anabolic hormone- growth hormone- is released and screwing with your sleep schedule disrupts the cyclic pattern that this wonder hormone is released into your body.

I actually popped out of bed Monday morning and felt fine, but my legs had no push in them. My strength was pathetic... I dropped 30 pounds by my last set of squat and the lack of sleep is the only contributing factor that I can think of... lack of sleep is the only thingi that was different about my routine this week.

Take home message:

LIFT HARD
SLEEP WELL

No comments:

 
Custom Search